There is nothing new about designing buildings to make best use of local or recycled materials or to require very little energy to make them habitable. We only need to look back a few centuries in the UK or at the present Third World to see green buildings which have very little impact on the environment read more...
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995 has now been largely replaced by The Equality Act 2010 and while awareness of the issues surrounding access to buildings and their services by disabled people has been raised by the legislation read more...
Conservation and restoration of existing buildings is a form of recycling and encompasses everything from the Listed Buildings administered by English Heritage to a thirties semi in a suburban street. read more...
Home Office News
New Bold Design is celebrating one year in its new home office in Upper Weardale
Greendale Cottage is the first Band A passive house / office to be built in County Durham and has a SAP Energy Rating of 97. Constructed in accordance with PassivHaus design principles, it is a highly-insulated, airtight building with no central heating system, relying on natural solar gains and an MVHR (mechanical ventilation with heat recovery) system to provide a comfortable environment without the need for any fossil fuels. The small amount of additional heat input required in winter is provided by a room-sealed woodburning boiler stove which mainly heats the hot water and towel rails in the bathrooms. Solar thermal panels heat the water in summer and solar PV panels supplement the electricity supply. High-performance, triple-glazed windows and doors help to ensure that an internal temperature of around 20 degC is maintained throughout the building, whatever the weather.
At new bold design we take a personal, holistic approach to building design and project management by considering the historical context, accessibility and energy conservation so we can deliver buildings for our Clients that are fit for all our futures.
- Greendale Cottage, band A passive house / office with a SAP Energy Rating of 97
- Special needs housing adaptation for client with severe disabilities and live-in care team requirments
- Bonnygrove Farm Special Needs Home
- Remodelling & refurbishment of multi-storey social housing
- Oban Court, Extra Care Sheltered Housing extensions & remodelling
- Special needs housing adaptations & new build, Earls House Hospital
- New detached house Mountaincastle, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland
- Conversion of Grade 2 Listed former Co-op building 50 luxury apartments
- COMMERCIAL & LEISURE
- More projects...