new bold design limited
6a West Blackdene
Co Durham, DL13 1EQ

Tel: 07815 305454

new bold design limited on LinkedIn

New Collections Store & Workshop buildings


Preston Hall Museum & Park, Stockton-on-Tees


Preston hallPreston hall workshops


Preston Hall, set in a 110 acre park, was built in 1825 and extended in the 1880s. It is the headquarters and main museum of Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s Museum Service. In addition to the Grade II Listed Building, the Hall also incorporates a Victorian Period Street and extensive parkland and gardens extended to the River Tees


Working within the Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s Partnering Framework, Phil Newbold, Senior Associate at Dewjo’c Architects, managed the consultation, design and construction phases of this £1.4m project on a tight programme and budget and with very challenging site restrictions from a nearby group of mature trees. Following a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2008, the site for this development had to be cleared, including the demolition of two modern storage sheds containing a substantial amount of the Museum’s collection. The two new buildings and the paved courtyards around them provide an extension to the existing Period Street


This development radically improves the buildings and facilities at the Museum, making it easier for visitors to find out about their local heritage. It has created new spacious and accessible facilities for the staff and enables the Museum to improve care of its collections and access to the collections by visitors and professional users


This development was completed in August 2010 and is part of a wider scheme of improvements to the quality and accessibility of the displays in the Hall and Period Street which, together with improvements to the parkland and riverside access, are currently the subject of separate Heritage Lottery funded projects for 2011

back to home page